This past Saturday, I hosted a bridesmaids party for one of my best girlfriends. She got engaged a few months ago, and I thought it would be nice to get all the bridesmaids together to meet each other! (I am a bridesmaid and my boyfriend is a groomsman. I guess we will be walking down the aisle a little earlier than expected, haha!!). This wasn't a full on party - more of just a get-together. We had shrimp tacos, drank margaritas, played Cards Against Humanity, and all got to know each other.
Though the occasion definitely did not require decorations, I can't help myself. I LOVE decorating my home, and this obsession is only amplified when I know I am having guests over. I decided to go with a floral theme, and made this flower letter "A" for my girlfriend! This was SO easy and looked amazing!!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Paper mache letter (I bought this at Joann's when I was in the USA shopping a few weeks ago. It was $10. For you Canadian ladies, I am not sure if you can find this at Michael's, but I am sure you could order it online. All it really is is a cardboard letter that is hallow on the inside)
- Floral foam
- A ton of silk flowers (I bought mine from the dollarstore)
- A knife & scissors
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
1. Take your knife and start cutting out one side of your letter. This actually was easier than I thought it was going to be. I used a serrated knife, which is SO much easier than an exacto knife. I literally stuck the knife into the letter and sawed the cardboard. There will be folded up cardboard inside the letter. Take this out so you are left with an open letter that is completely hallow.
TIP!! Don't try to cut the letter all the way to the edge - this could lead to the letter breaking. Just go kind of in the middle. Then, either bend the edges into the letter, or take scissors and cut the excess off.
2. Fill the hallow insides with floral foam (floral foam is flammable, so make sure to keep the final product away from candles or any other source of heat)
3. Stick your silk flowers into the foam. Go crazy with this!! You don't want to see any of the foam. The more flowers the merrier.
THAT'S IT!! Literally the easiest DIY ever. And it is so pretty! Everyone at the party loved it - it was a huge hit.
I hope you enjoyed this DIY. Do you want to see more of these on my blog? Let me know in the comment section below!
Also, if you would like to see pictures of the table setting of the bridal party, see yesterday's post here.